- Criminal Defense
Attorney Melissa Barrette has a reputation for aggressively representing her client and not hesitating to take cases to trial. Her record includes both pre-trial dismissals and winning acquittals by jury in both felony and misdemeanor cases involving charges of drunk driving, child abuse and sexual assault. She understands that her role includes being both a compassionate advisor to her clients and a legal champion in court.
In 2019, she partnered with long-time colleague Attorney Brett Kaehne to continue a life dedicated to defending those accused of crimes. Prior to forming Kaehne and Barrette S.C., Attorney Barrette practiced criminal defense in Sheboygan for six years. Attorney Barrette is a member of the Sheboygan County bar association, the Wisconsin Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers (WACDL), the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers (NACDL), and the National College of DUI Defense (NCDD). She is also a member of the NORML legal committee.
Attorney Barrette attended the University of Wisconsin. As an undergraduate, she triple-majored in Legal Studies, Political Science and Sociology and served as the President of the University’s Legal Studies Association. After graduation, she immediately enrolled in the University of Wisconsin Law School. While there, she gained acceptance into the prestigious Wisconsin Innocence Project, reviewing claims of actual innocence and evaluating where other attorney’s failed their clients. Attorney Barrette also worked at the Madison Department of Civil Rights, where she fought to preserve social justice.
- University of Wisconsin Law School, Madison, Wisconsin
- Honors: Women’s Law Student Association, Member
- University of Wisconsin
- B.A. - 2010
- Honors: University’s Legal Studies Association, President
- Major: Legal Studies
- Major: Political Science
- Major: Sociology
- Law Offices of Chirafisi & Verhoff, S.C., Clerk
- Wisconsin Innocence Project, Project Assistant, Intern
- Madison Department of Civil Rights
- Sheboygan County Bar Association, Member
- Wisconsin Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers (WACDL), Member
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers (NACDL), Member
- National College of DUI Defense (NCDD), Member
- NORML, Legal Committee, Member
Current Employment Position